Monday, November 11, 2013

Training Week 8

I've just completed training week 8 of my 12 week training program for my first half marathon, and it was an interesting week. It certainly brought with it some new challenges that I haven't faced before. Here is the breakdown:

Monday: Trainer appointment, same as always.

Tuesday: 4.5 mile run. I had two new challenges to face with this run. Challenge #1: I was sick! Luckily not death bed/105 degree fever sick,  but certainly cold/achy/stuffy sick. I had to walk quite a bit, but hey, I was sick! Only bad asses and crazies run while they are sick, and since I like to think positively, I'm not classifying myself as a crazy! ;)  Challenge #2: The time change means it is dark super early now, but I don't really have any choice but to suck it up buttercup and run in the dark. Oh well, I'm adjusting! My time was slow, 58:45, but at least I did it.

Wednesday: 3 mile run. Still sick, still dark. I walked A LOT. I ran the first mile but was struggling and was forced to walk quite a bit the last two miles. Again, my time was slow, 38:14, but I was determined not to skip any training runs despite my less than optimum physical condition. 

Thursday: 4.5 mile run. I was feeling better and was able to knock out a good run without walking. My time was 53:13, which was so much better than Tuesday's time.  It was still really dark, but it was cool and breezy and an enjoyable run. 

Friday: Rest day.

Saturday: I went on an extremely leisurely stroll with my hubby and my dog, but otherwise didn't do anything. For some reason I have really struggled with these Saturday workouts the past few weeks. I'm not sure why, but I can't seem to summon the will power to actually work out. Bah!

Sunday: 8 mile run. This run was a solid run for me. The distance was intimidating because it was the longest for me to date. I was feeling a little nervous about it, but mostly curious to see how it would go. I tried the goo for the first time (basically a little pouch that you drink during your run to boost your energy) and while not a delicious snack, it was fine. I'm not sure if it really helped me or not, but I didn't feel hungry or ridiculously exhausted at any point, so I think that is a good sign that it didn't hurt! I ran the entire way which made me really happy. I did pause for about one minute as I was nearing the end of mile 2 to drink my goo and take a swig of water, so that slowed my time a bit, but that's okay with me. My knees are KILLING me today, particularly my left knee. I really hope that it is just normal soreness and not the first signs of an injury. I'm taking glucosamine daily and am going to ice both knees tonight. 

I'm looking forward to week 9. Let's just hope these sore knees get better quick so I can knock out the 5 mile run I've got scheduled for tomorrow!

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!