Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Polar Vortex Chili

I've mentioned before that I am not a great cook. Actually, it's not so much that I can't cook, it's that I just don't like to cook. I don't even want to think about how much money we've spent at restaurants in the past year because trust me, it ain't pretty.

My #1 new year's resolution is to save money, and my #2 is to cook more. Luckily these pretty much go hand in hand. Cooking more = saving more. Whenever I have a particularly good cooking experience, I'll be sure to share it with you guys here so that you can get in on the deliciousness.

Last night's dinner was DELICIOUS! 

Seeing as it was still really cold outside, I thought chili sounded good. I turned to Pinterest and found several different recipes, just to get ideas of what kind of stuff goes into chili. Then I made up my own recipe as I went, utilizing the ingredients that I had in my kitchen already. The results were magically delicious and actually sorta healthy (if you go easy on the rice and cheese, which I didn't). I hope you enjoy!

Not the best picture because I had pretty much devoured it all by the time I took this, but you get the point.

Jesse's Polar Vortex Chili 
Ingredients:
1 pound ground turkey
1 1/2 cans diced tomatoes (1 can undrained, 1/2 can drained)
1 can black beans (undrained)
1 can kidney beans (undrained)
1 small onion (diced)
1 cup white rice
shredded cheddar cheese 

Seasonings:
chili powder
garlic powder
ground cumin
paprika
salt & pepper

Directions:
Brown ground turkey in the biggest skillet you've got. 
Meanwhile, cook one cup of white rice. (Put 2 cups water and 1 cup rice in a pot and bring to a boil. Once it reaches a boil, reduce to a simmer and cover. Allow to simmer for approximately 15 minutes or until done). 
Once meat is brown, add the diced tomatoes, black beans, kidney beans, and chopped onions. Add lots of garlic powder and chili powder (we completely saturated the surface of ours three times with these seasonings). Also add some ground cumin and paprika. Add a little bit of salt and pepper. Stir well.
Allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Serve over rice and topped with shredded cheese. Enjoy!

Not gonna lie, I'm pretty proud of myself for coming up with this. It was seriously yummy and only took about 35 minutes to make! The outcome isn't very spicy, but its definitely flavorful! So so good on a polar vortex kind of day! This recipe would easily feed four people (although if you guys are hungry hungry hippos like us, you may want to make a little more rice). 

I hope you guys stay warm and well fed today! Thanks for stopping by!
Jesse

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!