Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Branching out a bit...

Hi guys! Sorry I haven't been around in a while. I actually have made a little progress on the DIY front and I do want to share that with you, but the reason I have been absent from the blog is because lately I've been focusing my energy into a new hobby that has nothing to do with interior design, home decor or crafting. Lately, I've been working on my health and fitness. 

I know, I know. Quite possibly the worst hobby ever. I've debated whether or not I wanted to share this aspect of my life on the blog or not. Basically, I was afraid to share it because if I fail miserably, then it will be public knowledge. I've always been a yo-yo dieter, losing weight, gaining weight, losing weight, gaining weight. Nobody wants to read about that vicious cycle. So, I'm going to try and strike a balance. I'm not going to share publicly my weight loss goals, progress, ups and downs. At least not right now. I don't feel ready for that kind of exposure. Or maybe that kind of accountability. If I tell the world "I'm going to lose this many pounds" than I really will need to lose that many pounds. If I don't follow through, I know I'll feel like a failure. I'd like to avoid this at all costs. Instead, I'll share with you my running goals. 

As part of my never ending quest for fitness, I decided to register for a half marathon. As in 13.1 miles people. That is significantly further than any distance I've ever tried to run before and I am terrified. But I'm also excited. I actually like running. Well, that's not entirely true. I'm not sure what kind of sick people would actually like running. But I do like a good challenge, and I absolutely LOVE having a goal to work towards. Goals keep me focused, and keep me grounded. I have a tendency to let my head get caught up in the clouds, dreaming of all that could be, so hopefully this goal will keep me in the here and now. Also, I am quite possibly the least competitive person in the world. I do not thrive on competition at all. When I see somebody who is stronger than me or faster than me, it doesn't make me want to be stronger or faster, it just makes me feel discouraged. But running is a one man only kind of sport. It has nothing to do with anybody else's abilities, it is just between me, myself and I (and the road, and my feet, and my legs, but you get the point) so I don't feel as pressured to be as good as the next guy. I like knowing that after each run, I'll feel a sense of accomplishment. I like knowing that everyday I get a little bit better. Honestly, I even kind of like knowing that I'm not naturally a "good" runner, or a "fast" runner, because that means I have that much more to be proud of when this is all said and done and I've conquered those 13.1 miles. I'll know I tackled an obstacle that in no way shape or form was easy for me. I'll know I picked something hard, something seemingly insurmountable, and proved myself worthy. 

I have a LONG way to go before I'll be ready for this race. I am doing a 12 week training program that officially starts on September 16th. You can read about that here. Between now and September 16th, I'm running and working out at my own pace, just trying to get myself to a comfortable starting place. So far, it has been going well. Back in May, my friends and I did a 5K (3.1 miles) and I walked ALOT. I couldn't even finish the first half of a mile without walking. I was panting and dragging ass and all around sucking. If it weren't for my friend Lauren cheering me on, I probably would have walked the entire thing. Lauren practically dragged me across the finish line at just about 40 minutes. Since then I have been running and trying to eat healthy. I am happy to report that this past Saturday I was able to run a full 3 miles without walking at all. Even better, I did it again yesterday, so I know it wasn't just a fluke. 


Yep, I ran three miles, without walking a single step, in 34 minutes. And I did it twice. For me, that is a success. That isn't particularly fast by most standards, and let's face it, the further I run, the slower I'll probably be going. Not to mention the fact that this is a full 10 miles shorter than my ultimately goal. But hey, it's a start. It's better than where I used to be. I have been having some knee pain lately, which does make me nervous. What if on race day I'm only a few miles in and already hurting? I guess we'll just have to wait and see. For now, I'm taking glucosamine supplements for joint health (I think it is supposed to be for old people, but whatever) and icing both my knees for 20 minutes after each run. 

All in all, I'm scared/excited/nervous/happy to see what the next few months have in store for me. I am curious how this will turn out. I'm not sure if this is a one time only thing for me, or if I'll become addicted and sign up for races all the time. We shall see. In the meantime, I love reading all about her fitness journey. And hers. Check them out if you want to hear first hand about the lives of women who are more bad ass than you (or maybe you are a total bad ass too, but they are definitely way more awesome than I am). I'll keep you posted on how my training goes! Thanks for the love and support, and please promise not to laugh if and when I fall flat on my face.

Thanks,
Jesse 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!